Cricket Funny Sides -1

There's actually quite an interesting story...Harold Larwood was batting in a county match, and was being peppered with the short-pitched stuff. The bowler (whose name I can't remember) obviously fancied himself as a tailender's nightmare...Anyway, Larwood, after receiving one too many perfume balls, glared down the pitch and said dangerously, "It'll be my turn soon."

"Don't worry", came the reply,"if you pitch it in my half, I'll hit you out of the ground, and if you pitch it in your half, I'll hit you out of the county."

Soon enough, it was Larwood's turn to take the field, and he ran through the top order, obviously quite eager to settle scores with the upstart. He reminded him of that, as he took guard. Once again, the batsman reminded him how far it was to the next county.

"We'll see", said Larwood, went back to his mark, and exploded into his runup.... The upstart never saw the ball. It reared up wickedly towards his face and after barely fending it off, he caught a glimpse of it falling well short of first slip. He tucked his bat under his arm and started walking.

"Come back and fight," called Larwood.. Well bowled, Lol, well bowled!" came the reply. "You weren't out," said the umpire. "In my opinion, gentlemen," replied the upstart, "that was the fairest catch I've ever seen!"

Comments